- Are you committed to strengthening mental health and well-being, particularly in Kenya?
- Are you driven to reduce gender-based violence, chronic stress, and childhood adversity?
- Do you want to work with teams that are trauma-informed and social justice oriented?
- Do you have the skills to ensure community providers thrive as they gain new skills, create deep networks, and lead community-based, mental health initiatives?
- Do you have a growth mindset; positive attitude; solid project management skills; flexible, yet values-aligned approach; and the ability to work in Kenya?
If so, please apply by April 28, 2021 to become the Project Manager (based in Diani) for Global Trauma Project. We are a dynamic, growing organization dedicated to strengthening resilience and reducing the negative impacts of stress, adversity, trauma, and oppression.
See attached flyer for details of job description and instructions to apply.
Title: Project Manager
No. of positions: 1 (One)
Type: Full time
Location of work: Diani, Kenya
Reports to: GTP Supervisor
Start of work: May 2021
Duration: 1 year with possibility of renewal (*)
Global Trauma Project (GTP) is a capacity-building organization located in Kenya, that supports local providers around the world to develop, implement, and strengthen, trauma-informed initiatives for healing and transformation. GTP operates with a very lean structure, yet maintains a growing, but impactful, portfolio of projects. Our work serves to improve individual and community wellness, and serves as a foundation for effective education, peace-building, livelihood, and health initiatives. GTP operates a training and fellowship program for community providers, focused on increasing wellbeing and reduction of various forms of violence. We are currently implementing two projects in Kenya’s coastal counties, and are looking for an experienced Project Manager to manage our Coastal initiatives.
Role and Responsibilities:
Grant & Project Management
-Ensure solid and effective grant management of projects (including financial and programmatic)
-Ensure timely and effective financial and work planning, in line with grant requirements
-Ensure monitoring of expenditures and project activities
-Ensure preparation and timely submission of high quality, financial and programmatic reports, as per grant requirements
-Ensure all aspects of project implementation runs smoothly
-Conduct Weekly meetings with community team leaders to monitor progress, and identify matters of concern and support problem solving
-Train team leaders on data collection and reporting
-Ensure team leaders submit weekly activity reports and review accordingly
-Support selection and induction of program fellowship applicants
-Conducts weekly meetings with fellows to ensure logistical support and coordination
-Participate in training as required to become familiar with GTP framework
-Monitor attendance and performance of fellows
-Participate in weekly supervision meetings to address upcoming technical or operational issues
-Train program fellows in data collection and reporting
-Oversee and support impact assessment in order to generate quality final report for the donor
-Onboard 1 project officer to support operations
Partnerships & Coordination
-Ensure continuous good relations and collaborations with all stakeholders involved
-Ensure GTP is well represented in meetings, workshops, and technical working groups; and positive relationships with key stakeholders
-Manage and support all team members and project participants according to needs and funds available.
-Initiate recruitment of new staff as required; draft contracting and performance appraisals; identify team members’ capacities and needs; and ensure their performance and contributions are adequate for the project’s needs.
-As required, provide support in identifying new opportunities for funding and technical partnerships
-As needed, develop project proposals and support development of budgets
Communication and Reporting Lines:
Reports to: Assigned Supervisor
Supervises: Project assistant, team leaders, and fellows
- BA or MA degree from an accredited, international institution in one of the following relevant fields: international development, social sciences, and/or project management, with 5 years of experience in program management and coordination.
Technical / Professional:
- Proven experience in successfully managing (planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting) projects with budgets above 100,000 USD
- Ability to coordinate and develop the capacity of teams
- Ability to identify and solve conflicts and problems
- Ability to effectively facilitate and coordinate meetings
- Ability to produce written reports in English at a high, global standard
- Very familiar with the Kenyan context
- Have a valid certificate of good conduct
GTP work environment requires:
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up organization, with a lean structure, and highly collaborative work environment
- Willingness and ability to give and receive tough, direct feedback
- Ability to produce high quality results, while working independently without micro-management
Personal qualities, values and commitments:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain high standards of professional behaviour and achievement when working alone and in a team
- Proactive, self-motivated, and able to work with little support
- Highly trustworthy and works with integrity
- Positive, creative, and inspiring team player
- Committed to upholding trauma-informed values and wellbeing
- Capacity for introspection and honest self assessment
- Values inclusivity and respects diversity including race, sexual and gender orientation, religion etc.
Work Location and Remuneration
The candidate will be based in Diani, and must have the ability to travel to various parts of Kenya as required (minimal). Candidate must be legally cleared to work in Kenya while on contract. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified persons, with the required experience are invited to submit their application to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 28th April 2021.
Email subject: “Application Project Manager”
Application to include ALL of the following:
- CV (not exceeding 4 pages), including 3 references.
- Motivational letter (1 page maximum)
- Writing sample (min. 500 words.) Examples include but not limited to: program report, grant application, research paper, etc. written by applicant.
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
For more information about GTP, please visit:
(*) the finalization, duration and renewal of the contract is subject to availability of grants and funding.